Make tomato soup yourself.
An essential component of a good tomato soup is tomatoes – preferably very ripe ones, which may no longer be excellent for salads and Caprese. We particularly recommend sweet, aromatic varieties such as meaty oxheart tomatoes or the Italian San Marzano tomatoes.
You need the following ingredients for the soup:
1 kg of tomatoes
One onion one clove of garlic ½
A vegetable broth, for example, homemade with vegetable spice paste
2 tbsp olive oil for frying
Optionally up to 1 tbsp sugar (the additional sweetness rounds off the taste of the soup. For very ripe, sweet tomatoes, reduce the amount or leave it out.)
Salt, pepper and white wine vinegar to taste
2-3 basil leaves per plate
You will also need a hand blender, alternatively a large sieve or a “ Flotte Lotte ” to pass through the soup.
How to do it:
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and cut out the stem end.
- Dice the onion, squeeze the garlic or dice very finely.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add onions and garlic and sauté briefly over medium1. Roughly chop the tomatoes and cut out the stem end heat.
- First, add sugar to taste and then the tomatoes and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour in the broth and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then puree the soup or strain it through a sieve. Bring to the boil again – the longer the soup continues to cook, the more intense its aroma. However, more vitamins are lost in this way.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and a little vinegar. Divide the soup into four bowls of soup plates and decorate them with basil. A dollop of crème fraîche refines the taste if desired. For vegan enjoyment, use homemade plant-based crème fraîche . Rustic bread, for example, homemade Essen bread, tastes good with it. Bon Appetit!
Tomato soup varies. Tomato soup is very variable and can, for example, be individualized with spices as desired. Try tomato soup like this: Season with ginger, curry and turmeric, use a little coriander instead of basil as a decoration, refine the soup with a dash of coconut milk instead of crème fraîche.
The soup becomes fruity and hot if you add a dash of orange juice at the end and season with plenty of chilli instead of pepper. Half a banana, which is already a bit brown, cooked and mashed together with the tomatoes, gives the soup a sweet and creamy taste. Serve guests an unfamiliar treat by using a type of yellow tomato for the soup.
Also read: how to bake chicken wings